Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I received this email today from a friend. He wishes to remain anonymous. Fine.

He toured the Senate with his family. It was a private tour. He is an idealist. He wants to believe. He and I were emailing about an interview that recently surfaced with BHO, as a new Senator from Illinois, slamming the Bush administration for pushing through important legislation without a proper debate. I thought his comments were worth posting here...

"Neither party should ever slam through legislation (and I know that is the “smart” thing to do and what the ''handlers" insist you must do) and I am glad the Bush administration got “slammed” for doing so. Today we toured the Capitol and sat in the gallery watching a senator from South Dakota telling nobody but himself how this healthcare bill needs to be debated, and how it should not be rushed through. I have not been to the Capitol in a long time, and I was blown away by the aura of “royalty,” “regality” and “palace luxury” that is everywhere. Titles, plaques, gold emblems everywhere, underground subways that go 40 yards, privileged drinking fountains, restrooms, and a gazillion young (attractive) staffers looking starry eyed for anyone with a title. I can see any person here feeling “anointed” after only a short time. I cannot see anyone in that environment serving the people in any manner, unless they are a superhero. While I think the ideal of a place where all of us can come together and solve our differences peacefully is very noble, I found the implementation disgusting."

No comments:

Post a Comment